Congratulations on the birth of your child and your desire to give your child the very best by having him or her baptized into the Catholic faith! We look forward to preparing with you for this special community event – celebrating becoming a member of the Christ’s Body, the Church, sharing in the risen life of Christ.
Parent Preparations for Baptism
We ask both parents to participate in:
- Signing up online for Baptism Preparation
- One session with our Pastoral Minister to discuss faith, community involvement and your desires for your child. Please call the Parish Office at (585) 247-2566 to make an appointment.
- A Baptismal Preparation Gathering for Parents (and Godparents if possible) to deepen your understanding of baptism, the Church, and God, and to meet other couples to get to know others in the community. Topics include parenting, sponsors, being Catholic, our relationship with God, the history of baptism and Rite of Baptism options. *Reservations required – indicate your choice on your registration form. The Baptismal Preparation Class will be held from 9:00-11:30 a.m. on November 4, 2017, January 6, 2018, March 3, 2018, May 5, 2018, and July 7, 2018. Please bring a picture or sonogram of your child (or children) being baptized.
- Setting a date for Baptism with the Baptismal Coordinator after all the above are completed. Unless approved otherwise by the Parish Leader, Baptisms are usually celebrated on the 1st and 2nd Sundays of each month after you attend 10:30 am Mass. No Baptisms during Lent (except in emergency).
Sponsors and Godparents
Parents have the primary responsibility for raising their child as a Catholic. To help them carry out this responsibility, they pick 1-2 people to be Godparents/sponsors. The Catholic Church requires that at least 1 sponsor is a practicing Roman Catholic who:
- Is at least 16 years old, fully initiated Catholic (Baptism, Eucharist, Confirmation).
- Actively practices the Catholic faith (lives the faith daily/attends Mass weekly).
- Gets a letter from their parish stating they are active practicing Catholics.
- We also suggest the prospective Godparent writes a letter to the baby, and provides the text of the letter to the Pastoral Minister stating why they want to be Godparents and their hopes for the child as he/she grows in faith.
If desired for pastoral reasons, one sponsor can also be a Christian witness who is:
- At least 16 years old, baptized Christian (Anglican, Orthodox, etc.).
- Regularly practicing their Christian faith (lives their faith in everyday life).
The two-fold role of Godparent is to help parents raise their child as a Catholic and to represent the Catholic Church community into which s/he is to be baptized and grow.
For more information, please contact our Parish Office at (585) 247-2566.