Request Sponsor Letter for Baptism or Confirmation
Congratulations on being asked to be a Godparent or a Confirmation Sponsor!
The church where the candidate is being prepared will request that you obtain from your parish priest a Letter of Suitability. Use the link below to request a Sponsor Letter.
REQUEST A SPONSOR LETTER OF SUITABILITY
The Church requires that sponsors….
- Be mature enough to undertake this responsibility. (Over the age of 16)
- Have received all three Sacraments of Initiation themselves. (Baptism, Confirmation, Eucharist)
- Are Members of the Catholic Church and are canonically free to be a sponsor.
The following are canonically disqualified from serving as a sponsor:
- Those married “outside” the Church without dispensation.
- Divorced persons who have attempted to remarry outside the Church.
- Person who habitually miss weekend Mass.
- Parents who neglect the religious instructions of their children.
- Those who fail to fulfill their “Easter Duty” (that is, to receive Holy Communion during the Easter Season.)
- Those who have not been both baptized and confirmed.
- Those whose lives give public scandal.