The Hands of Christ is a recognition program created by the Diocese of Rochester to assist parishes in affirming their high school seniors who have been the “Hands of Christ” in their church, home, school and community, sponsored by the Office of Evangelization and Catechesis. Recognized seniors are invited to receive a plaque from the Most Reverend Bishop Salvatore R. Matano at one of three special Recognition Ceremonies to be held in the spring.
The Criteria to receive this very special recognition:
- Is currently a high school senior.
- Has consistently demonstrated a Christian attitude by word and example.
- Has been actively involved in the parish as well as their school or community.
- Has been a positive role model to their peers, younger children and adults.
- Is a practicing Roman Catholic in a parish in the Diocese of Rochester and attends Mass.
The Hands of Christ recognition is an outstanding way for all parishes to honor their high school seniors. We are happy to provide this opportunity to celebrate our exceptional young men and women and their discipleship.
As you can tell from the outlined criteria, this recognition is reserved for seniors that give consistent attention to worship as well as service in our parish.
They are the young people who commit to Sunday Mass and step up to volunteer in a ministry of the parish.
They are stewards of their time with God as well as their sharing of time and talent with the needs of the parish and the greater community.
They are also young men and women who model Christ-like behavior to their peers.
The Nomination Process
- Parishioners, adults, teens, faith formation leaders, CYO Coaches, Ministry Group leaders are notified that the nomination period has opened and can begin to think about the graduating high school seniors they might want to nominate.
- Those who want to nominate a young parishioner for the Hands of Christ Recognition print out the form below and return it to Youth Ministry Director Barb Legere ([email protected]) by November 15th.
- The Parish Staff receives and reviews all nominations and puts forward those nominated to the Diocese.
- Those who are selected for this Recognition will receive a letter from the Pastor & Youth Ministry Director inviting them to participate in the Diocesan Hands of Christ Ceremonies and in our Parish Celebration whose date will be announced at that time.
“Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses all the world. Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are his body. Christ has no body now on earth but yours.”― St