Baptismal Preparation Guidelines
Congratulations on the birth of your child and your desire to give your child the very best by having him or her baptized into the Catholic faith! We look forward to preparing with you for this special community event – celebrating becoming a member of the Christ’s Body, the Church, sharing in the risen life of Christ.
Please know that we are indeed accepting sign ups for baptism during the COVID-19 emergency.
Please complete the online form below as you normally would, and Deacon Elmer will contact you at the phone number you give.
Meetings and the group classes are currently being done virtually, using on line meeting software or telephone.
Parent Preparations for Baptism
We ask both parents to participate in:
- To allow for enough time to schedule meetings and the preparation class and to obtain the required documents, please submit your Baptism Preparation form (link below) at least 6 weeks before the baptism liturgy to be celebrated.
- Signing up online for Baptism Preparation
- One session with our Pastoral Minister to discuss faith, community involvement and your desires for your child. A member of our parish staff will call you to set up the appointment.
- A Baptismal Preparation Gathering for Parents (and Godparents if possible) to deepen your understanding of baptism, the Church, and God, and to meet other couples to get to know others in the community.
Topics include parenting, sponsors, being Catholic, our relationship with God, the history of baptism and Rite of Baptism options. *Reservations required – indicate your choice on your registration form.
The Baptismal Preparation Class is held 9:00-11:30 a.m.
the next two dates are May 9, 2020 and July 11, 2020.
Please bring a picture or sonogram of your child (or children) being baptized.
- Setting a date for Baptism with the Baptismal Coordinator after all the above are completed. Unless approved otherwise by the Parish Leader, Baptisms are usually celebrated on the 1st and 2nd Sundays of each month after you attend 10:30 am Mass.
No Baptisms during Lent (except in emergency).
Sponsors and Godparents
Parents have the primary responsibility for raising their child as a Catholic. To help them carry out this responsibility, they pick 1-2 people to be Godparents/sponsors. The Catholic Church requires that at least 1 sponsor is a practicing Roman Catholic who:
- is at least 16 yrs old, fully initiated Catholic (Baptism, Eucharist, Confirmation).
- actively practices the Catholic faith (lives the faith daily/attends Mass weekly).
- gets a letter from their parish stating they are active practicing Catholics.
- (We also suggest) writes a letter to the baby Pastoral Associate (and given to the Pastoral Minister) stating why they want to be Godparents and their hopes for the child as he/she grows in faith.
If desired for pastoral reasons, one sponsor can also be a Christian witness who is:
- at least 16 years old, baptized Christian (Anglican, Orthodox, etc.).
- regularly practicing their Christian faith (lives their faith in everyday life).
The two-fold role of Godparent is to help parents raise their child as a Catholic and to
represent the Catholic Church community into which s/he is to be baptized and grow.
For more information, please contact our Parish Office at (585) 247-2566.